To conserve Indonesia’s natural environment through large-scale landscape conservation and restoration activities
Objectives and Aims
The main objective of the Belantara Foundation is to align conservation activities carried out by multiple stakeholders and to ensure these initiatives support an environmentally, socially, culturally, and economically sustainable landscape. Additionally, the master plan concept is aimed at creating an enabling environment for building consensus and capacity among stakeholders.
- Harmonize and synergize existing activities at a landscape level
- Support restoration and protection commitments
- Build consensus among stakeholders and identify their roles
- Identify priority actions within the landscape
- Provide a detailed reference guide for participating actors
- Develop institutional and policy support
- Mobilize additional financial support
Belantara works to :
- Support natural forest restoration and the protection of endangered animals (including the Sumatran tiger, Sumatran elephant and orangutan) in Sumatra and Kalimantan;
- Support conflict mitigation between communities and endangered species;
- Support studies to improve and strengthen sustainable landscape management;
- Support community empowerment programs and strengthen local economies, especially where they rely heavily on natural resources.